TDH and I are making this salad for dinner tonight. I made it last week and he can’t stop raving about it. Plus, tonight is Monday Night Dinner with our good friends in La Jolla. It’s turned into a weekly tradition where we switch off making dinner for each other. I can’t tell you how much I look forward to every other week’s night off from cooking and doing the dishes. (We don’t have a dishwasher!) To round out the meal we are adding a homemade quiche with fresh backyard eggs and blanched asparagus. The Lemon and Thyme Scones I posted a few weeks ago would pair well too. What did you make the last time you had breakfast for dinner?
Beet + Pineapple Salad (gluten free, vegan, nut free)
3 medium size beets (the more colorful the better)
extra virgin olive oil
1 cup pineapple chunks, fresh if possible
2 cups lettuce greens
3 green onions
1 lemon juiced
first cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
– Preheat oven/toaster oven to 400* F.
– Rinse beets, no need to peel or cut them unless they are large.
– Toss beets in olive oil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour turning every 15 minutes.
– While the beets are roasting cut the pineapple into bite size chunks.
– Chop green onions, white and green parts.
– Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper for the dressing.
– Cool beets for 10 minutes or longer if you have the time. If not, throw on some gloves to peel off the outer skin. Chop into bit size pieces.
– Add all ingredients, mix and serve.