1 package EXTRA FIRM tofu
½ c BBQ sauce
1 c shucked fresh fava beans
½ c sliced red onion
2 avocados, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 c lettuce
¼ c chopped cilantro
– Drain tofu for 15 minutes ~ Remove tofu from package. Lay paper towels on a small plate, layer with tofu and top with another paper towel. Top it off with another plate and find something heavy to place on top. Draining tofu is the KEY step to cooking tofu, don’t skip it or else your tofu will be mushy L which is fine of you are making chocolate mousse but I’m trying to feed my 6’4” husband!
– Cut tofu into ½” blocks. Mix ½ c bbq sauce with tofu in a bowl. Marinate in the fridge.
– Preheat toaster oven to 375*, line the pan with foil.
– Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fava beans and cook until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and shock in ice water. Drain again and remove outer skins. (Confession ~ TDH and I totally missed this step and they tasted fine.)
– Bake tofu 15-20 minutes. Toss at 8 minutes. Broil for the last 3 minutes.
– In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil and whisk until blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
– Pour all vegetables into the medium bowl and mix well. Don’t be afraid to mash up the avocado, it makes the salad creamy sans dairy.
– Top with baked tofu.
What the F is a fava bean and why is it good for me? Take a look here ~ fava bean